Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Brothers Grimm, and Other Dark Things

I know I promised a couple of adoption appropriate spells and an adoption Wiccaning ritual, but I haven't sat down and worked on those things. I apologize for that, but I wanted your opinion on things. I love the original Brothers Grimm stories. I don't like to call them fairy tales because in my mind fairy tales are the whitewashed Disney versions, although yes I do know that not all fairies are like Tinker Bell, and some can be quite terrible. But my question here is when do you think a child is old enough for the original Brothers Grimm stories? Personally, I want my child to understand that "monsters" and other "dark" things as set aside by conventional America, are not to be feared. I think that promotes a good mindset. So I would eventually like to read some of the original Brothers Grimm tales to my potential child, however, I do not want to give my child nightmares either. So, leave me comments, and tell me what you think. When is a child old enough for those tales to be appropriate?

Also, I've been to see Dark Shadows (again) with my mom, dad, little brother, and little brother's girlfriend. I absolutely adore that movie, and will be buying it as soon as it comes out on DVD/BluRay. But the reason I bring it up is because I saw a movie poster at the theater that I am super excited about!




This comes out in September. I'm sincerely hoping to have a child placed with me at that time, and if so, I would love for this to be the first movie I take my little one to go see. These are the kinds of things I would love for my little one to watch. Monsters Inc., all of The Good Witch movies, and things like that, that cast the "scary" things in a more positive light. What are some of your favorite things to watch with your little one?


1 comment:

  1. That's a decision you can't make until the right time. Every child is so different you can't just say '8 is the right age'. Here's an example, I took my daughter to see Tangled at the theatre (she's 7 now) thinking 'it's a Disney princess movie'. Well she ended up sobbing and begging to go home when Flint gets killed. Her little girlfriend (the same age) loved the movie and thought it was the best ever. We follow a Waldorf-like homeschool so we read the real fairy tales and so far she has been fine with them (though it's not been that scary).

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete