Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hello Again!

I'm so sorry I've been missing my friends. Let's see here... there's been a whole lot of stuff going on! I finally got my license and have been working in the salon. I've been working more diligently at advertising than anything else, but hopefully that will pay off soon. I've missed you guys very much though, and you have been on my mind a whole lot here lately. I have news for you my friends, and I hope you will be just as excited about it as I am.

I am adopting a child! I have been considering adoption for a long time, a couple years in fact, and I finally just said to myself, "Amber, you are 24 years old, you have a permanent home, and a stable job ... Why not at least start the process, and discuss things with a professional and see how you feel about it after that." So I recently started working with an agency in Lubbock and decided to do the foster to adopt program through the state. That way I'll be licensed as a foster parent and as a potential adoptive parent. I will have a chance to spend time with the child as my foster child before jumping right into adoption, so that way I have a chance to bond with the child before adopting.

Now, I've had to lie about my religion through this process. I had a choice of working with the agency I'm working with right now, or working directly with CPS and state officials. I weighed both options and settled on the agency, because they work a little bit like middlemen between me and the state. The only downfall is the agency is a Christian agency. However, any Pagans trying to adopt will be hard pressed to find an all Pagan agency that is licensed to work with children in foster care. Lying about my religion has pained me a little bit, but I believe it will be worth it in the end.

I'm so excited and nervous and scared, but mainly excited. I've wanted to be a mother for a very long time, and thankfully the state of Texas allows single applicants to adopt. I've been informed that I will be watched closer than the couples because of the fact that I'm single, but I don't think it will be too big of a deal. I think I can handle all their "watching" and I'll just watch them right back!

There are currently many changes going on in my little house. I've bought a slightly larger washer and dryer that still fits in the laundry niche, I'm having a repairman come out to check out my central heat and air unit which has been acting up since I moved home from Amarillo, and I have enlisted a friend who trains dogs to help me with extra training for my precious doggies so they will be ready for the change. Soon I will be moving my queen sized bed up to my loft, taking out the built in night stands in my bedroom, and adding a toddler bed to the bedroom on the first floor. I've been busy putting latches on my cabinets and drawers to keep the little one out of it, and I'll be having a baby gate built specifically for the size of the stairwell up to the loft.

So there are big changes going on! Any of you guys know of any good Pagan adoption blogs or Pagan adoptive parenting blogs? I'd love to get connected with other Pagans who are considering adoption or have already gone through the process. I am still in the process of getting my foster/adopt license. I've completed all the paperwork, will be going to get fingerprinted on Monday, and have completed my mandatory CPR class. I still have my behavioral intervention class, my psychotropic drugs class, and my PRIDE parenting classes to do. I also still need to have my home fire inspection, health inspection, homestudy, and physical/TB test. My caseworker thinks I will be licensed by the end of August or early in September and then hopefully I'll have a placement soon after that.

So leave me your comments below. Questions, resources, anything you would like to say. I miss talking to you guys!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize it was that involved, but I guess it should be! Very good luck. I have two children, but am considering the same foster-to-adopt process several years away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite involved here in Texas. There are several background tests we must pass, all the home inspections I mentioned, 30 hours of parenting classes, and the other classes I mentioned. On top of that while in the foster process you will have several checks by the social worker throughout the year, and each new year you have to retake a few of the classes and there are continuing education hours as well. But it really is all worth it to be able to give a child a safe, loving, and understanding home.

    ReplyDelete